We all worry about our kids, right? I do. I constantly worry about them getting sick or hurt, and I do everything I can to keep them safe. My worries, though, tend to border on the whole "paranoid mom" thing, and while my husband thinks I'm over the top with my worrying, sometimes it is justified.
Take battery ingestion, for example. I learned how dangerous this can be for children shortly after Rylie was born, and that, of course, was added to my worry list. But did you know that serious injuries and medical complications caused by coin lithium battery ingestion is on the rise? In fact, the number of cases resulting in serious injury or death has more than quadrupled in the past five years.
Parents SHOULD worry about this, and every parent needs to be aware of the risks of battery ingestion. Energizer has teamed up with Safe Kids to establish The Battery Controlled to help raise awareness of the issue, and every parent needs to watch this video...
Energizer is also helping to promote child safety with new packaging. The company is the first to introduce safe new child-resistant packaging for coin lithium batteries.
Energizer announces a significant packaging improvement designed to reduce the occurrence of ingestions of coin-sized button batteries by children and the associated medical complications. The innovative new packaging, coming soon to store shelves nationwide, is made from more durable and flexible materials that make it very difficult for young children to open. In addition to deterring children from getting into the package, Energizer has added easily understood icons on the front of the package to let parents know to keep the batteries away from small children, along with detailed warning copy advising of the danger of ingesting coin cell batteries and how to get help if they are swallowed. Once an adult has opened the package, they’ll see a warning sticker on the back of the battery itself (with a tab for easy removal) that further reinforces the safety message. While the transition at retail may take some time, it is fully expected to be complete prior to the upcoming Holiday season.
I recently received two packs of Energizer 2032 batteries in the new packaging. While the package doesn't look all that different at first glance, you can clearly see the child safety icon on the front of the package.
The main difference is the back of the battery package. There are no tabs to pull to get into this package. Instead, it has to be cut with scissors. There are also the large "warning" labels in different languages, and the "keep out of reach of children" warning is clearly visible. This warning lets consumers know that swallowing may lead to serious injury or death in as little as two hours, and advises immediate medical attention in the event a battery is swallowed. It also lists a number for the doctor to call.
While I am very aware of the risks of battery ingestion, some parents may not realize how serious it can be. Hopefully this new packaging, along with The Battery Controlled campaign, will alert parents to the dangers of battery ingestion so we can all keep our kids safe.
~*~Two Packs of Energizer 2032 Coin Lithium Batteries~*~
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: All opinions are my own. I received the batteries at no cost, in order to facilitate my review. No other compensation was received.