When we purchased cribs for Rylie and Bryce, they both came with mattresses. Since we were spending so much on the furniture, I didn't really pay much attention to the "free" mattress. I figured all crib mattresses were the same and never looked around at any others. I am here today to tell you that all crib mattresses are definitely NOT the same!
A few months ago when I was changing the sheets on Rylie's bed, I noticed that I could feel the coils through the mattress. It is almost five years old, so I figured that the material covering the coils had lost it's cushion. Rylie didn't seem to mind, but then again, kids are able to sleep on a hard floor with no issues. Still, just because she might not understand what comfort really is, she shouldn't have to sleep on a surface that wasn't truly comfortable.
Since I am a Kolcraft Mom, I knew that Kolcraft carried several mattresses and I decided to remedy the uncomfortableness of Rylie's bed. Brian and I looked at the variety of crib and toddler bed mattresses and decided to try out the Sealy Baby Posturepedic Crown Jewel Crib Mattress.
When Rylie's new mattress arrived, I immediately stood it up next to her old mattress. I could already see the differences between the two. The Sealy mattress (on the left in the photo below) looked sturdier and way more plush than the mattress we received with her crib.
Here is a list of the features of the Sealy Baby Posturepedic Crown Jewel Crib Mattress from the Kolcraft website:
- Exclusive POSTURETECH® coil system offers 220 POSTURETECH® coils for long-lasting support
- Everedge® Pylons at each corner of the mattress create ultimate corner support
- STAPH-GARD® reinforced cover effectively inhibits bacterial growth and provides an anti-static surface
- All-around heavy gauge steel border rods maximize side, corner and edge firmness
- Steel bars distribute baby's weight evenly over the entire surface of the mattress
- GREENGUARD® Children & Schools Certified: This entire mattress is GREENGUARD® Children & Schools certified for indoor air quality and low chemical emissions to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby.
- Two non-allergenic layers insulate the mattress for lasting durability
- Third non-allergenic layer provides additional support
- Fourth non-allergenic layer offers a plush, gentle sleeping surface for your baby
- Tear-resistant cover with vinyl binding resists stains, odors, and mildew. Mattress wipes clean with a damp cloth
- Mattress also fits toddler bed frames
- Lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials
- Meets or exceeds all flammability, lead, phthalate and CPSIA testing and does not contain toxic fire retardants
- Proudly Made in the USA
When I saw how much bigger the new mattress was compared to the old mattress, I was a little concerned that it wouldn't fit in her bed, but it actually fit perfectly. It is much heavier than her previous mattress, but that just made me realize what an excellent quality mattress this really is.
Brian first tested the mattress out after he laid on the old mattress. He could immediately tell a difference in the comfort level. In fact, he just wanted to curl up and go to sleep.
When he got up from Rylie's bed, we watched the mattress spring right back up into it's original shape. The support system in the mattress is amazing!
Since the mattress is heavy, it wasn't quite as easy to make Rylie's bed as it had been previously. In fact, her old mattress was so light that I was pretty much able to toss it around while I stretched the sheets over the 4 corners. I will gladly trade ease of making the bed for more comfort and support for my little girl any day!
Once her bed was made, Rylie was eager to get in and try it out. When I asked her what she though about her new bed she said "oooh, this is nice." OK, I know that came from a kid who can pretty much sleep anywhere, but I'm sure that not being able to feel the coils in the mattress made her sleeping surface much more comfortable than it was before.
This mattress is fabulous! It is supportive and comfortable, and we absolutely cannot feel the coils through the multiple non-allergenic layers on top of them. The cover will be easy to clean if needed, and it is so thick that I believe it will last for a long time. Rylie won't be in her toddler bed for much longer, but Bryce will use this mattress for at least another two years.
The Sealy Baby Posturepedic Crown Jewel Crib Mattress retails for $159.99 at Kolcraft.com. I believe it is worth every penny, considering the exceptional quality and durability of this mattress. With a lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials, this may be the only mattress you ever have to buy for your little one!
Don't make the mistake I did and just accept the "free" mattress that comes with your crib. Compare the different mattresses out there and make sure your baby or toddler will be sleeping comfortably. I highly recommend this Crown Jewel!
~*~Sealy Baby Posturepedic Crown Jewel Mattress~*~
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: All opinions are my own. I received the Sealy mattress at no cost in order to facilitate my review. No other compensation was received. A big Thank You to Kolcraft for providing the giveaway prize!